Hump Day

It's been a while since we've been at home. We were scheduled to play at home this past Saturday against Charlotte... but Hurricane Irma decided otherwise. It may have been down graded to a tropical storm by the time it arrived in Charleston but the damages were still extreme. I know there were a lot of disappointed people with the game being rescheduled after the beautiful weather Friday and Saturday, but to look out for the safety of the players, officials, staff, fans and everyone traveling, the league and two clubs decided on postponing the match. 

With Irma scheduled to hit Monday morning and our game being rescheduled, we trained early Saturday morning and to mimic game-like scenarios, we played an inter-squad scrimmage. We would take Sunday and Monday off, allowing players to evacuate or take proper precautions if staying in town, before returning to training Tuesday afternoon. Come Wednesday morning, we would be back on our normal schedule, with a home game schedule for this Saturday! 

So back to the title, hump day. It’s been while since I walked y'all through the day to day or more specifically, what goes on during a normal day for a professional soccer player. So here we go…

Training was at 10:00 this morning, meaning everyone had to be there by 9:30. Being the early bird that I am, my first alarm went off bright and early at 7:00 a.m. I said first alarm, because I have three. I turn off the first at 7:00, close my eyes for 10 more minutes, turn off the second, lay there for 10 more minutes usually unable to go back to sleep before turning off the third at 7:20. At this point I’m up, but not completely. The first 10 minutes or so is time to adjust. Meaning, sitting up inch by inch, checking my phone for any texts, news, notifications, social media, blah blah blah, before finally kicking off the sheets. I’ll get up, brush my teeth, get dressed and make my to the kitchen to grab something light to eat for breakfast. I’ve never been one to play on a full or heavy stomach but I’d be naive to think that playing on nothing at all is healthier. I mean a truck needs diesel to run after all. Something light typically means an apple or banana and a bowl of yogurt or cereal. Nothing crazy, but something simple and nutritious. The last thing to do is fill up my water bottle, prep my protein shake, and hit the road for training, which is roughly around 8:15. 

I know I’ve gone over my pre-training or pregame routines before so I’ll excuse me if things get a little choppy but here’s a recap: arrive 8:50-9:00, walk into locker room and immediately connect to speaker, change from street clothes into training shorts, hot tub warm-up/stretch for 8-12 minutes, change into training gear with flats, weigh in, stretch in weight room, medium core workout for roughly 25 minutes, 5-10 minute cool down in locker room, then head out to train at 9:50. 


We played today at training. That may sound silly to some, considering we play soccer everyday but to those new to the world of soccer lingo, playing means playing small sided, 6 v 6, 7 v 7, etc.. In essence, good ole fashion soccer with no limitations or restrictions. Today we played 9 v 9 with one neutral player playing on the offensive side of the ball. One 9 would mimic Richmond's style of play while the other 9 focused on our own, simulating scenarios we will faceSaturday. After training a few players would hang around the pitch to help the media crew shoota few interviews and videos before heading inside. I would stretch, shower, change and head home.


Wednesday’s are my day off. No coaching, no individuals, no nothin’ and if you’re a soccer fan, you know that Tuesdays and Wednesdays during this time of the year are special. We wait all year for Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons and with having no responsibilities on Wednesday, my only priority after training is eating lunch, sitting on my couch, and watching Champions League! And that’s exactly what I did today. I came home, made lunch, sprawled out on my couch, turned one game on one tv, another game on another, and boom, afternoon made. 

My only other responsibility on Wednesdays are dinner. Luckily for a foodie like myself, there’s a very scrumptious sushi place right near me that has a BOGO special on Wednesday and lets just say that once I found out about the BOGO deal, I’ve taken full advantage of it! As you can see, I didn't disappoint with tonight’s rolls. 


After dinner, the day’s pretty much over. I’ll chill out for a little bit, watch a movie or two, and then hit the sheets knowing I will be waking up tomorrow at the same time ready to crush it once again!